Friday, October 30, 2009

38. Radiohead - Climbing Up the Walls (1997)

For edition #2 of my songs that relate to the feeling of Halloween in some way, I've chosen by far the creepiest song by my favorite band, Radiohead. One of the latter tracks on their magnificent album OK Computer, this song just has such a sense of dread that lasts throughout it's entire length. The lyrics about 15 blows to the back of your head, locking kids up safe, shutting eyes in the cupboard, and climbing up skulls are simply terrifying when set to the eerie strings and almost demonic sounding drumbeats. Then all of this is topped by one of the most dread-inspiring guitar solos around, which itself is topped by Thom Yorke's screaming at the end of the song that still gives me chills every time I hear it, even 12 years later.




1 comment: