Friday, November 20, 2009

My 25 Favorite Artists of the 2000s - #11



#11 - My Morning Jacket

For whatever reason, when I first heard of My Morning Jacket I instantly pigeon-holed them as some sort of terrible emo band simply based on their name. When I got around to hearing their music soon after, however, I realized that I couldn't have been more wrong. MMJ have carried on the southern rock tradition in remarkable fashion, creating songs with big vocals and blistering guitar solos, and most importantly becoming one of the most interesting live acts around. Jim James heavily reverbed vocals are beautiful (he's probably my favorite vocalist of the decade), sounding like they're being sung in the middle of the largest cathedral in the world. The band's album Z is what a southern rock album from the 70s would have sounded like if it had magically been introduced to Radiohead's OK Computer, and is one of the masterpieces of the 2000s.

My Favorite Albums:
1. Z (2005)
2. It Still Moves (2003)
3. At Dawn (2001)


No comments:

Post a Comment